Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The circus comes to town.

In 1985 I was a 12 year old junior golfer.  I was just finding my feet with the game and spending more and more time at Princes Golf Club. My days were spent hitting range balls and because I had to pick them up I practiced flipping them up on my wedge into my practice ball bag.  I remember feeling like a proper golfer when I mastered this skill. 

I would also spend time putting but not nearly as much as I should have.  I look back now and wish I had spent more time there. 

After I had practiced I would often hang out in the pro shop with the assistant pro's who were giving the junior lessons.  I was fascinated by the repairs they would make on clubs.   They would do all the usual repairs like re gripping or altering the loft or lie.  But the one thing I enjoyed watching the most was when they refurbished a persimmon wood. 

The process involved taking the metal sole plate and face plate off, removing the old whipping (twine) the sanding the head.  Followed by painting and varnishing. The process would take a while as the paint and varnish needed to dry.  After this the metal plates were screwed back on and the Whipping replaced.  The assistants would let me try my hand at it but I could never finish it off properly.  I have to say it was a lot harder than the guys made it look.

During this time I noticed something cool happening on the neighboring course, Royal St. Georges.  Stands were going up, camera towers were being put in place, Rope around the holes and signage everywhere. 

The Circus that is the Open Championship was coming to town.  I remember being very excited, but thought I wouldn't be able to go as my father was having to work.  So I resolved myself to watch it on TV in the pro shop with the assistants.  I don't remember much about the early rounds, but the final round sticks in my mind. 

I was in the pro shop when one of the assistants said they were heading over the fence to watch and would I like to come.  I jumped at the chance, excited to see my first Open and the potential for a British winner.  

Sandy Lyle was playing in the penultimate group behind Bernhard Langer and David Graham.  But by the time he reached the 18th he had a one shot lead. The assistants and I were watching from the side of the 18th fairway as he hit his shot short and left of the 18th green, then to our horror his chip didn't roll up the steep slope and came right back to his feet. he went on to make a bogie. But behind Bernhard and David were struggling. 

The assistants and myself  rushed out on to the 18 fairway in the scrum that always happened after the final group played their 2nd shots to the last hole.  We found ourself right in the middle and unable to see anything.

There was only one thing to do.  I got hoisted onto Terry (the tallest assistant) shoulders and was instructed to tell them exactly what was going on.  In the excitement of the occasion I can only remember saying Lyle' won, Lyle's won.  Im sure I must have told them what Langer and Graham had done but the only thing that mattered to me was the Sandy Lyle was the champion golfer of the year for 1985.

Looking back on it now as I sit in the Golf Channel production room in the Bahamas at the LPGA event. I realize this was my first ever play by play.  It wasn't for TV or radio but for the assistants that had been kind enough to let a 12 year old tag along for the thrill of a Major Championship.

2 comments:

  1. Easy to see how an experience like that would help to hook you on the game for life. Nice mental image you painted. Fun to read.

    ReplyDelete